top of page
  • Jana McCabe

Newry 5 v 1 Ards

After gaining a crucial three points last week, Ards faced Newry City…

After gaining a crucial three points last week, Ards faced Newry City at the Showgrounds. David McAllister remained injured while Johnny Taylor served the final game of his suspension.

Newry should have scored in the first minute when Mark Hughes was right in front of goal but failed to take advantage of the opportunity.

Then Craig McMillen’s lovely corner went right across the face of goal with no Ards player able to connect with the cross in the 11th minute.

It was the home side who opened the scoring in the shortly after when Ards stopper Brian Neeson brought down a Newry striker in the box. Mark Hughes took the spot kick and made no mistake to make it one nil to the home side.

Newry then doubled their lead in the 22nd minute when Adam Foley escaped the attention of the Ards defence and was able to find the back of the net.

Ards got one back in the 39th minute when another skilful corner from Craig McMillen found Kyle Calderwood with his neat finish putting the away team back into the game.

Hughes was in action again when his header was saved by the Ards stopper before Neeson had to block Foley’s volley as the home side looked for a third.

In the closing stages of the first half Foley’s strike rebounded off the inside of the woodwork, while at the other end TJ Murray missed a great opportunity to level the game as his header was tipped over the bar by Coleman in the home goal.

However the best chance of the half has to go to Dylan Wilson after another lovely ball from Craig McMillen gave him a great opportunity but his close range header was over the bar to the disbelief of the travelling red and blue army. The half ended 2-1.

6 mins into the new half the home side scored their third when Ards were outpaced and Foley was able to take advantage of Armstrong’s misjudged header and set up Mark McCabe who made it 3-1.

The home side then got their fourth when a needless foul by Kym Nelson led to a freekick which was nodded on to Foley who was able to convert for his second of the afternoon.

However the scoring wasn’t finished as the home side scored one more to make it 5-1. Ards defence again looked unconvincing as Foley’s close range strike found the back of the net to give him his hat trick and make it 5-1.

Foley nearly got his fourth of the game but his strike was saved by Brian Neeson in the closing stages of the half and the game ended minutes later.

An embarrassing defeat for Ards as tensions begin to rise. Next up is Harland & Wolff Welders on Tuesday night at the Bangor Fuels Arena in the County Antrim Shield.

Report : Jana McCabe

58 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Newry v Ards

Newry vs Ards. Bluefin Sport Championship. Newry Showgrounds. Saturday 14th March at 3.00 p.m. Ards travel to the Showgrounds hoping to stop Newry claiming a hat-trick of victories over the Red and Bl


Ards faced eighth placed Harland and Wolff Welders at Tillysburn Park looking to secure a place in the top six. The home side had the first chance of the game when a scramble in front of goal nearly


Our Under 18s made the long trip to Fisher Park on Friday as they faced Ballinamallard United in the NIFL Academy League. Both sides met in October with Ards winning the game 9-0 at Londonderry Park,

bottom of page